The Church of St Petrock was built on the site of an earlier Chapel of Ease.
It was reopened in 1848 after a thorough rebuild over-seen
by Mr. G. Boyce of Tiverton, the builder was Mr. Gale of
Bampton. Built from local stone there is little to show of the
earlier medieval design except for the bells. Only
comparatively recently has the Church been granted parish
status and is now Grade II listed and largely unaltered
inside and out since the rebuild. The Church is important
architecturally and is mentioned in Pevsner’s ‘The Buildings
It has weathered well over the years but the elements have
recently taken their toll. The regular westerly wind and
rain have impacted the west-end, weakening the structure
of the bellcote and damp has penetrated through parts of
the roof and walls affecting some of the interior.
If this characterful building had any chance of surviving
into the future significant funds had to be found to pay for
the craftsmen and materials needed to render it sufficiently
Fortunately the waste management company, Viridor
came to the rescue with funds which they make available
to deserving cases.
An application was made and accepted.
Sufficient funds were provided to renovate the outside of
the building replacing slates, roof timbers and
much-needed pointing of the walls.
This animation has sound! Be sure to switch on your computer speakers or headphones.